… A person or animal that lives in or occupies a space
Inhabitant looks at spaces, specifically inner city spaces, in an area such as Johannesburg and how they are more than they seem superficially; a doorway becomes a home merely through the occupation of space even though it does not have the traditional structure of 4 walls and a roof.
The transient nature of such an occupation creates subtle shifts in the nature and use of space and brings into question the rights and ownership of such. The energy and superficial expectations of the city can be overwhelming and push its inhabitants to a point where they revert to a natural, anamalistic way of living out in the open without the confines of accepted structures.
“Sello Pesa upped the site-specific ante in Inhabitant….” Adrienne Sichel, The Star newspaper
• Commissioned by the Goethe Institute Johannesburg – GoetheonMain Johannesburg 2011
• iDans Festival – Istanbul 2011
• Danse L’Afrique Danse – Newtown 2012
• 2014: Inhabitant was co-presented by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and Galería de la Raza as
part of Public Intimacy: Art and Other Ordinary Acts in South Africa and Live Projects 4.
• Public Intimacy at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco 2014
• Commute with intuitive instinct at Brundyn + , Cape Town 2014
• Winner of the Critical Endeavour Award – iDans Festival 2011
• PopArt – Johannesburg 2012
• Altrek Sports Centre – Alexandra 2012
A Collaboration with Vaughn Sadie
Workshops and performance at Danse L’Afrique Danse were made possible by funding from the National Arts Council of South Africa